Although Green Bay has a really good farmer’s market from June through November, we don”t have the luxury of a year-round market like those of you in California or even NYC – that is, until this year. The New Leaf Market, a co-operative market, has been hosting a twice monthly farmers market this winter. And what a blessing it has been.
Today, Jeanne and I went sort of early (the market only runs from 8:00 – noon; we got there about 8:30) and we were able to bring home a bounty of food that will not last us until the next market on January 28 (the last two will be on February 18 & 25) but it will do a lot towards getting us there.
Below is a picture of our haul. It includes
• Chickpea (with coriander, fennel and black pepper) and Triple Seeded (pumpkin, sunflower and poppy) crackers from Elemental Ovens in Manawa, WI
• Butter Chard, Bok Choi, Salad Mix, Shallots, and Baby Carrots from Twin Elms Gardens in Pulaski, WI
• Yellow Beets from a vendor I only know as Lenny
• Parmigiano Reggiano and Pecorino Romano from Nala’s Fromagerie in Green Bay
• Blushing Peach Fruit Spread from Mudd Creek in Appleton, WI
With such a nice winter market and the World Champion Green Bay Packers just down the road, wouldn’t you really rather live in Green Bay?